In this interactive MeetUp, participants will learn from Nimmy’s experiences on how to build a strong career in the German tech industry as a woman, mother and a foreigner resident in Munich. Nimmy has evolved from a female developer to a software tester, a product owner and a programme manager. She will give first-hand tips on how to get a foothold in this industry and how to prepare for interviews. She will also encourage you with her knowledge of career accelerators that will help you progress in your career.
„Don’t self reject. Know your worth and fight your imposter syndrome.“
herCAREER: What are your own experiences in the German tech industry as a woman, mother and a foreigner resident in Munich?
Nimmy Nemlin: Having moved from India to Germany 8 years back, there is a big difference with the way of life on both sides. Although I had the initial challenges of settling down in a new country and blending to a new culture, my overall experience has been a very positive one. Germans don’t beat around the bush. They are reliable, very punctual and law abiding. To integrate into the German community, learning the German language is a key and it vastly increases your chances on the German Job Market. Another thing I learned is Germans are not closed to spontaneity, but they value their own time more than us. And divide clearly their job from their private life. Also, Germany is one of the most generous countries when it comes to benefits awarded to Parents. The lengthy parental leave which the German Government offered helped me to spend enough time with my kid and get back to work without any guilt. Also I admire the German style of parenting where parents put trust in their kids and supervise them less. They also believe that children are capable of making their own decisions from a very young age. It was a real eye-opener for me as a parent and I have lightened up.
herCAREER: What should you pay special attention to when applying for a job in the tech industry?
- Customize your resume for each application. Understand the essence of the open position by reading over the job description and consider using keywords from the JD in your resume. Also include a photograph in your resume. Your cover letter needs to grab attention within the first sentence or two.
- Don’t self reject. Know your worth and fight your imposter syndrome.
- Build your network and attend tech events and meetups. This is a great way to meet people and reach out to established professionals in the industry and learn about job openings.
- Make sure your professional social media profile is up-to-date and includes all relevant experience and skills.
- Spend time on the company’s website to get a solid sense of the company’s culture, values, and mission.
herCAREER: What is the best way to progress in your career in the tech industry?
Nimmy Nemlin: With herCAREER, we deliberately promote a professional exchange based on the personal experience and knowledge of the sparring partners.
- Make sure you understand the latest trends and technologies in such a competitive industry. Don’t be afraid to network. Attend industry events, meetups, and conferences, and reach out to established professionals in your field. Finally, don’t forget to show your personality.
- Develop the technical skills necessary to excel in your career and pursue a technical certification.
- Seek a mentor: Having a mentor can give you a distinct advantage in your career development because they impart their professional skills, provide industry knowledge and give you tips to aid in your success. Many mentors offer support, advice and encouragement to guide you towards a rewarding career in tech, and you can learn valuable techniques from those with years of firsthand experience.
- Grow your presence, build relationships by networking, create impact and get noticed!
herCAREER: Would you also act as a mentor in the herCAREER community and, if so, which women would you like as mentees?
Nimmy Nemlin: I can mentor college graduates/freshers who are looking to enter the workforce and those who need help with cracking interviews on FAANG companies.
Use one of the ways to contact the interviewee and refer to the herCAREER community interview.
About this person
Nimmy Nemlin started her career in the IT Industry in 2010 and has worked with a variety of companies and cross-cultural teams. She is currently working as a Technical Program Manager at Google. Before joining Google, she has worked with various companies like BMW, Allianz and Cognizant Technology Solutions. She did her Bachelors in Computer Science and Engineering from India. She is passionate about problem solving, tech for good, building great teams and mentoring new college graduates. In addition, Nimmy is committed to equal opportunity in STEM as a net4tec pioneer, she is a speaker at global conferences and is listed under “Speaker of the Year Runners-up” in Women Tech Global Awards in 2021. Outside of work, she loves travelling, baking, networking with like-minded people and spending time with her family and friends.
The MeetUp is presented by net4tec.
This interview refers to a MeetUp of the herCAREER-Expo 2022, place and time can be found in the programm.